First, please know that this photo of me in the face mask is admittedly intended to get your attention. Since I have an extreme sensitivity to mildew, mold and dust, and the very wet spring and muggy summer in Chicago has spores replicating like crazy, I’ve acquired some mask protection from an allergic onslaught. It happens in a few areas I frequent, like the basement. The good news is that I’m moving in ten days to a new home. Plus the season will change soon and symptoms will abate – allergy suffers can relate, I’m sure.
But what if there were no escape from environmental hazards? What if our air, water, and food no longer nourished our health and well-being? What if the very basics of living became our enemies?
The mask is a handy prop as I write on this rainy afternoon, but the world situation is real and very serious; I’ve been trying to think of a way to illuminate the extreme need for global awakening and motivate some action. Many of us in the consciousness raising movement have been trying, for decades now, to motivate folks to work on their own growth in order to change the world. Global transformation must start within each of us. We have to awaken to greater self-awareness and contribution, in whatever ways we are guided. For each, contribution comes in many forms – including opening your heart to those your presence affects.
Personal growth requires some effort, self-discipline, and even risk, at times. But it’s easy for people to slip into apathy and ennui, to mournfully argue that it’s really all they can do to just basically survive in the chaotic times we’re experiencing. They throw up their hands and ask, “What can I do? The problems are so huge.”
But let’s look within and perhaps get a little more honest. Externally, there’s the ever present, easy lure of delicious foods, all kinds of entertainment, drinking, drugs, internet, shopping…all those easy escapes that promote passivity regarding the reality we face. Yes, you might get a quick rush from “shopping therapy” or a delicious dessert, but the thrill ends and soon you’re looking for another thrill. Call them cravings, escapes, or call them addictions – they are a roundtrip ticket to inaction.
The words “longing for our heart’s desires” is thrown around lots, including numerous mentions by myself in the history of this blog. But at a certain point, and some of us are already there, what we are going to be longing for is not love, money, rest, or even fulfilling oneself – it’s going to be getting clean air to breath, food that isn’t toxically manufactured, drinking water that isn’t polluted, the sight of a bee or some other endangered species (expected to be going exctinct), a feeling of belonging in your own country, undefiled nature, and, in general, your health & life, as we once knew it. It’s all over the news: global warming, the dangers of electric and magnetic fields (EMF’s), food additives, water contamination, toxic chemicals, nuclear experimentation and threats, the epidemic of cancer, etc. Then we’re also truly at risk of domination by those who thrive on power, greed, and control – those led by ego, not heart. There’s a battle between forces of light and darkness.
This morning as I meditated on a beautiful vision of the world awakening to love and connection, I basked in bliss while also sobbing for the crisis we face; These times are a mind-blowing paradox. The opportunity to experience profound connection to the Universal Divine has never been more available. Awakening is happening all over the world. In spiritual circles, miracles are becoming as common as the sun daily rising. But it’s a reality born from desperate times. To witness the dissolution of life itself is terrifyingly sad. It’s a gift of knowing death more intimately, even as we become more intimately connected with the ecstasy of the present moment.
What can YOU do? What can I do? Here are some suggestions:
1. Become informed about what’s really going on; Don’t stick your head in the sand. And please vote, when the opportunity arises.
2. Meditate daily. For real. No excuses. A great app to start you out is the “Insight Timer” with thousands of free guided meditations. There’s also simple breath-watching. Just sit and focus on your breathing. Even doing it for 3 minutes, or better yet 7 minutes daily, makes a difference.
3. Find your tribe: There are so many low-cost ways to connect with other spiritually attuned people. Check out meditation groups, non-denominational or denominational churches (wherever you’re drawn), 12-step groups, Oneness Phenomenon circles (personal plug), online communities…there are so many free or low-cost offerings! Call me if you need help finding some people you can relate to. It’s extremely important to overcome any isolation you might be experiencing.
4. Get connected to your inner Sacred Self and work on a bond with that. Whether you call it God, the Universe, Spirit, the Divine, Higher Self, Nature….just work on that bond. A deep bond with what is most sacred to you is the miracle you’ve been waiting for. With that bond, a bond of friendship and devotion, you will be guided to what you need, and what you need will be guided to you. You’ll be personally guided as to how you can contribute to the greater good. Opportunities will arise. You’ll help your family – in fact, you’ll be amazed how good things might get. Get in the flow!
5. Get help if you feel stuck: There are a plethora of various types of healers, teachers and courses available. One such course that is now currently being live-streamed once a month from my own teachers in India is called Journey Into Awakening. It’s a one-day intensive, given in about 50 cities across North America. This month’s specific class, on August 23, is being called “Retreat Into Happiness” and the emphasis will be on awakening to WEALTH. In the Chicago/midwest area, we’re meeting in Wheaton, IL on August 23. Check out more info and register here:
https://www.floweringheartcenter.org/journey-into-awakening The last day for the early-bird discount is Aug. 20, so don’t delay registering.
If you are outside the area, see a list of other cities where this event is taking place on Aug. 23 and consider registering:
Last month, I was blown away by the shift that came from attending this one-day intensive. I know that time, money, and effort are required to attend, but the benefits are huge. I walked away with profound quieting of mental chatter, a stronger desire, along with creative ideas, to focus on serving others more fully, happiness for no external reasons, and many more of those amazing, instantaneous daily miracles. I’ve felt that every need I have been experiencing has been answered and satisfied quickly. Some people have stepped forward, unexpectedly offering moving help, for instance. Also, unexpected money came to me, intense physical pain (from all the packing!) has disappeared quickly twice, and in general, I’ve felt such a close bond with my beloved Divine, that my heart feels like bursting at times, with love. And just to top it off, family relationships are warm, supportive, and connected. How good this all feels!
Are you motivated yet? If you want to discuss anything with me, just contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can connect about your own spiritual journey and how you can be a creator of change.